September 2, 2013

Mother of an Only Child

After reading a friends blog post earlier today, I thought about how the world judges me, and subsequently, Emerson; for having/being an only child. I was going to post a comment on her blog, but changed my mind. Then it happened. Within the last hour I was judged by a perfect stranger on this very topic.

You see, I came to terms with having an only many years ago. It wasn't ever the "plan" I had for myself, but it is one that I love more now than I could have ever imagined. See, I did my research on the truth about only children, their social interactions, their relationships, who they grow up to be. The rest of society, well they base their opinion on what they think they know.

I know that only children aren't necessarily spoiled, they just don't have to share any of their parents time and resources. Some may say, that's just a fancy way to say they are still spoiled. If you call "I don't have to decide which child I am going to spend one on one time" with being spoiled, I agree. There are many perks to parenting an only.

I also know what most only children end up very successful adults. Why? Because they are made to be independent at early ages. They model themselves after the adults in their lives, meaning more responsible and mature kids, generally with better academic achievement.

I know that just because you have multiple children doesn't guarantee your kids will even like each other, much less "be there to depend on each other" when it comes time to take care of mom and dad. Emerson will have a network of "siblings" in his life that will be the people he chooses. He already has a network of peers from cousins to friends who fill the "sibling" spot in his life.

I could go on. Fortunately for this judging person, she was on a second or third date with a dear friend of mine and I didn't blast her the way I would have liked! However, the next parent of an only that she runs into might not be so nice!

No comments: